Sunday, February 12, 2012

Don't You Just Love Valentine's Day?


Another Valentine's Day is right around the corner and once again I'm hoping to duck in the alley and let it pass by... For a day that's supposed to be all about showing some love, it often is one of the most stressful days of the year for singles and lovers alike. What started this whole concept anyway? Let's take a look at the history of this "Hallmark Holiday"...

"One legend contends that Valentine was a priest who served during the third century in Rome. When Emperor Claudius II decided that single men made better soldiers than those with wives and families, he outlawed marriage for young men. Valentine, realizing the injustice of the decree, defied Claudius and continued to perform marriages for young lovers in secret. When Valentine's actions were discovered, Claudius ordered that he be put to death. :

So let's see... this day of "love" that we celebrate has its roots in politics, the law and death. If that's not a reason to give somebody flowers nothing is! Don't get me wrong, I LOVE holidays. I go overboard at Easter, Christmas, even Halloween but V-Day is just not my favorite.  Even when I was a child it seemed I always got sick on Valentine's Day and missed the card exchange at school. Remember when we colored and designed our own paper bags to put up on our cubes? Everybody would write each other Valentine's Cards and put them in the bags. Sometimes there was candy too. I missed being at school for that event every year. Looking back on it, I'm not sure if it was a coincidence or foreshadowing of things to come.

First off, there's the flowers. They come in streams all day long at the front desk. You can't get away from them because they seem to be everywhere. Your coworkers are getting calls from the reception area, disappearing and returning with roses, tulips, lilies, balloons  - you get the picture. If you are in a relationship and you aren't on the receiving end of these displays of affection you start feeling that your boyfriend or husband is so lame - even though you know he isn't. You find yourself making excuses; "we agreed that we don't have the budget for flowers this year" or "I'm allergic". By the time you get home it doesn't matter what the poor guy has on the plan, you're already a little pissed. Then there are the fellows who "forget" it's Valentine's Day. What? How can you forget? Every store has been promoting it since Christmas, especially the card stores. And if you aren't in a relationship you may be 100% happy in your singleness, but you start feeling lonely on the big V-day because it's a holiday that excludes you.

This year I've decided to celebrate Valentine's Day a whole new way. I'm going to be happy for everyone who is happy with their Valentine. I'm going to wish my daughters a great day and send them my love. And I'm going to celebrate not having to worry about Valentine's Day because:
  • I don't have a "Valentine" so I have no expectations. 
  • I don't have to cheat on my diet or my budget at some pricey, high-carb restaurant
  • I don't have to be tempted by chocolate
  • I can save time and money not having to worry about what I should give my "Valentine"
  • I can ignore the day entirely and treat it like any other Tuesday, guilt free
If there is anyone else who plans to have a normal Tuesday this week, here's a quick, yummy and low fat recipe you can make for yourself. It's one thing about this Valentine's Day that you are sure to LOVE!

Panko-crusted Salmon

One 4 to 6 oz fresh salmon filet
Plain lowfat greek yogurt (about 1/3 cup)
2 tablespoons of lime juice
Fresh dill, 2 tablespoons
1/2 cup of whole wheat panko crumbs
Salt and Pepper to taste

Season the salmon with salt, pepper and dill and drizzle with the lime juice. Marinade in a covered container for at least 30 minutes or overnight.

Rub the salmon with yogurt and roll in panko crumbs Bake on 400 degrees for about 15 minutes.

Garlic-infused Green Beans
(This makes enough for two servings so eat one with the Salmon and save one for another night.)

1/2 pound of fresh green beans stems clipped
2 cloves of garlic sliced thin
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tablespoon of olive oil

Boil the green beans in water for about 5 minutes. Drain and plunge in iced water. Meanwhile heat the olive oil in a saute pan and saute the garlic for about 2 minutes. Add the green beans and saute on low for another 5 minutes. 

Add some wild rice and a good movie and enjoy your night!

No comments:

Post a Comment