Saturday, October 20, 2012

Food for the Soul

It has been exactly one year since I began this journey of Empty Nexting and since I discovered that my marriage was over. One year and one week to be exact. In those twelve months and seven days a lot of things have happened:

1. I am divorced, officially and legally
2. I have lost a small child's worth of weight
3. I have made new friends and reconnected with old ones
4. I have learned to shoot a gun
5. I have discovered new music
6. I have learned to enjoy exercise
7. I have a good idea of what I like and don't like
8. I have almost gotten my self confidence back
9. I have learned to cook for one and enjoy it
10. I have a financial plan for my future

It may not seem like a robust list to the unknowing eye, but for me these accomplishments are enormous. I really do feel like a new woman with endless possibilities and opportunities. As I consider what really aided me in this pathway to discovery I realize that it was YOU. Writing this blog and having friends out there to provide feedback, encouragement and humor gave me the extra motivation I needed to get to this point. For most of my life I have internalized everything; every emotion, every feeling, every desire. I don't know if it was fear or anxiety, but I have just never felt comfortable talking about or expressing my feelings. This outlet has enabled me to find a comfortable environment in which to do that,  and I am grateful to you for being such good listeners.

Recently I opened up to a dear friend about a horrific incident that happened to me a long time ago - one that put my life in danger and one that I had never spoken of out loud to anymore ever before. The release of that information was followed by several days of uncontrolled emotion; tearing up for no reason, a rush of sadness and mild depression. At first I was afraid of what I had released within me but now I see the benefit  because I am filled with a calmness and happiness that I haven't felt for a very long time. Lesson? Whatever is eating away at you from the inside needs to come outside so you can put it away in it's proper place. When you allow yourself to feel again it's an amazing sensation that can't be compared with any other emotion I've ever felt.

So thank you for being my audience, my therapist and my sounding board. To reward you for all the help you have given me I am dedicating the next several blog entries to comfort food meal planning and recipes. Each entry will include an appetizer or salad, an entree, a side and a dessert. I will also attempt to give you some drink recipes to go along with the theme. Consider it food for your soul and enjoy!

Fall Into Comfort

I am going to start this series with one of my daughter's favorite meals. I am offering you a low-fat version of the original recipe but it is no less awesome:

Martha's Vineyard Salad
Pot Pie
Mashed Potatoes
Apple Crisp

Beverage of choice for this meal would be, you guessed it, Sweet Tea, but with a twist (and I don't mean lemon).

Martha's Vineyard Salad
Mixed greens rinsed and drained  - enough for four people would be about one small bag
1 cup of dried cranberries
1/4 cup of plain croutons
1/3 cup of pine nuts
8 small cherry tomatoes
1/3 cup of low fat feta or goat cheese
Cranberry vinaigrette (I use fat free)

Split into four bowls and toss each with about 1 tablespoon of dressing

Mashed Potatoes with cauliflower 

I split whole white potatoes and cauliflower to reduce calories and add some nutritional value. Feel free to use all potatoes if you'd rather.

2 large white potatoes
1 small bunch of cauliflower
1/4 cup of fat free half and half
1/2 stick of butter
salt and pepper to taste

Cut the potatoes into cubes, tear the cauliflower into bite sized pieces and cook both together in boiling water for about 15 minutes. Drain and mash gently. Add the half and half, butter and seasoning and blend with a hand mixer until smooth, but not soupy. Add less milk for a thicker consistency or more for a thinner.

Pot Pie
1 large whole potato
1 large sweet potato
3 cups of vegetable broth
1 celery root
1 parsnips
8 oz bag frozen pearl onions
1 1/2 cups Fat free milk
1/2 cup of flour
1 8 ox bag of frozen peas
1/4 cup of fresh parsley
2 tablespoon of thyme
1/2 package of refrigerated pie dough
(you may add 2 whole boneless chicken breasts cooked and cut into bite-sized pieces)

Preheat oven to 425.
Bring broth to a boil and add potatoes through pearl onions. Reduce heat and simmer about 10 minutes. Remove vegetables with a slotted spoon reserving liquid. Mix flour and milk together and add to the reserved broth. Cook until thickened, about 10 minutes. Mix cooked vegtables and remaining ingredients (including chicken if you so desire) into a prepared 2 quart glass or ceramic baking dish. Top with pie dough, prick several places with a fork and flute the edges. I like to brush the top with a beaten egg and water mixture. Cook on 425 for 20 minutes.


Apple Crisp
2 apples
nonstick vegetable spray
1 cup oatmal
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup of butter softened

Preheat ocver to 350. Cut apples into small wedges. Layer wedges on bottom of 8 x 8 pan coated with vegetable spray. Mis dry ingredients. Add butter with a fork, stir until mixture resembles course crumbs. Sprinkle dry mixture over apples. Bake 20 minutes or until golde brown. 6 servings, 250 calories each.

Sweet Tea Punch

1 cup of Firefly Sweet Tea Vodka
2 cups of lemonade
1 8 oz glass of tonic water
Ice
Lemon wedges for garnish






No comments:

Post a Comment