Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Character Development

Xfinity hosted the Watchathon last week and I embraced it with a passion. As I was watching the final episode of Season 2 Game of Thrones (just in time for the Season 3 opener) I  became increasingly frustrated that the characters in the show just couldn't see the danger coming. Why did they keep making the same mistakes over and over? Wasn't anyone paying attention, and couldn't at least one friend provide some advice that could've prevented the inevitable?

It made me think about my own life. While I am by no means a Daenerys Targaryen, I have a few dragons I've been chasing as well. If only I could hit the rewind button or pause when I see myself making a mistake, saying the wrong thing, and either stop it from happening or go back and redo maybe things would be different. The sci fi freak in me gets really excited about that possibility. What if we could actually watch our lives play out and be able to control our own super slow-mo playback? I'm sure we have all had a moment or two that we wish we could retake and for some reason when we see it play out its much easier to catch our mistakes than when we are in real time. It's like when you are watching a football game and the catch looks good until they do the playback....it becomes so obvious when you see it nice and slow just how much of the players left foot was over the line. Sadly, for us everyday human folks we can only see the replay in our own minds, and often much later and way too late to change the outcome.

For me it's the little things I wish I could redo. The inappropriate word choice here, the lack of compassion showed, even though felt, there. The card I wish I would've sent or the phone call I should've made. The chocolate cake that I should have left on the plate rather than placing it squarely on my thighs. The big scenes in life seem to work themselves out but the day to day choices made in a quick nanosecond without the ability to see the impact play out in advance - those are the killers for me.

And do you ever wonder, as I did while emerged in Watchathon, who would play you in the TV mini series of your life? The choice of characters really makes a difference - for example; Sandra Bullock as Debbie Kennedy turns my life into one romantic comedy after another. She always says and does the wrong thing and makes terrible choices when it comes to men. Her portrayal of me would highlight the comedic nature of the real life awkward moments and situations and would make a great box office hit. However, I could also see a gut wrenching version played by Sally Field where the tears never stop coming and she sobs quietly on the side of a pier somewhere off the Chesapeake Bay feeling alone and abandoned. Maybe a dramatic series for that one. Sadly poor Sally doesn't even know she caused it all herself and blames everyone else for her difficulties. But the best scenario for me is to give the story to Joss Whedon and see what cool, twisted plot and off the charts crazy he could get out of Eliza Dushku from The Doll House (as Debbie. Now that would be fun to watch. Maybe I'll call him up and see if he'll help with my next Chapter...

A good friend of mine dabbles in Reiki and other natural healing techniques. He turned me on to an interesting way to prevent mishaps of the mouth. Picture a mental pause button and when faced with a difficult conversation push your pause button giving yourself a little extra time to think through how you should respond. I've tried it and it actually works for me. Another technique he's taught me is a mental dial. Its like any other dial with numbers from 1 to 10 in a circular disc only this one lives in your mind rather than on your desk. You can use the dial to adjust your reaction level and emotions based on the situation. I find it works both ways, both to show more emotion when the moment deserves it and to tone it down a bit when you feel an over-reaction coming on. While they aren't quite as cool as a Joss Whedon story,  they do give us a little more room for error.

Here's a way to  prevent food remorse and hit the pause button on sweets and carbs. If you eat well your body is satisfied and you are less likely to cheat on your diet.

Stuffed JalapeƱos







Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
  2. Place sausage in a skillet over medium heat, and cook until evenly brown. Drain grease.
  3. In a bowl, mix the sausage, cream cheese, and Parmesan cheese. Spoon about 1 tablespoon sausage mixture into each jalapeno half. Arrange stuffed halves in baking dishes.
  4. Bake 20 minutes in the preheated oven, until bubbly and lightly browned. Serve with Ranch dressing.




No comments:

Post a Comment