Monday, July 15, 2013

What To Do With All That Stuff?

How much stuff does one person need? I mean, really NEED. Cleaning out my old house which had already been cleared out several times, is showing me how much unnecessary stuff I've managed to accumulate over the years. And mind you, I consider myself to be a minimalist. I don't have a lot of furniture or nicknacks, not even shoes (compared with a lot of women I know) but I do have a ton of hard copy items that nowadays are stored online. Think about it:

1. Books - I have over 200 books, hard bound with covers and spines. That means a lot of bookcases to hold the books. I also have a Nook, a laptop and an IPhone so in theory I don't really need any of those "real" books anymore. But it seems sacrileges to throw them away. All that effort on the cover design and the many trees that gave their lives for the printing of those wonderful works of magic is just a small reason it is so hard for me to part with them. Mostly it's the memories of touching the paper as I turned the pages in anticipation of the next sentence. How could anyone possibly give those up? Most of my books have been read by me over and over and the cover reminds me of the first time I ever met "Bilbo Baggins" , "Jay Gatsby", "Catherine Barkley" and so many of my other "friends".  It hurts inside at the thought of not having them near me anymore. Okay, I know that sounds crazy and it probably is a little. I could donate them to a library so other people, young people discovering them for the first time maybe, can get some of the same satisfaction from them that I've always experienced. Or not.


2. CDs and Albums - When 8 Track Tapes were replaced by CDs I didn't really feel any great loss. I liked the concept of a CD; being in the Creative field the idea of cool cover designs and fun graphical inserts has always been appealing to me. And I fully embrace online music storage. I love my ITunes, Spotify and Pandora playlists and really hardly ever even think about playing an actual CD anymore. Still, the idea of throwing them away is off putting. All that plastic! The wonderful lyric inserts, the photos of the musicians...that's hard to give up. Still, where does one store all of those square boxes? The Albums that I have kept around aren't going anywhere, no matter what! The ones I have chosen to keep are all time favorites with as many memories as my post college brain can store. Everyone form my generation knows what I mean when I say "album spines"...the things we used those for will never be replaced by online anything. So what I have to get rid of a chair or two, I'm keeping the damn albums.


3. Photographs and negatives - Can you even remember the last time you took film to get developed? Still I have boxes and boxes of hard copy photographs, most still in the envelope they came back from the store in. After all, the act of taking the photo has always been more important than what you do with the photo afterward. Well, not today I guess. Today you take the photo with your IPhone so you can tweet, Instagram, Snap Chat, Facebook, Pinterest it and share it with everyone you'd ever even want to know. I'm not judging because I do it too, I'm just sayin'...but those old vintage (1999) photos are so cool to go through every once and a while. How can I possibly part with them? Those are pictures of my kids, after all, and I wouldn't throw away memories of my kids!

4. Address books and calendars - For years I kept all of my old address books and calendars so I could remember what I had done and who I had known in the past. That just seems silly now that you can store every minute of your life on your phone and save it on Cloud. Easy one, I'll throw away the calendars and address books. Oh, but wait, some of those calendars have pictures of my kids on them, must keep those (see bullet 3).

I've hauled away to Goodwill tons of clothes, furniture, electronics, pots and pans and streamlined my household supplies to a bare minimum. You can't put any of those things online but still it wasn't hard to part with them. It's the memories that I have trouble giving away. I think what it comes down to is I don't want to share my memories with strangers. The books, photos and music are just physical representations of all of those wonderful times spent experiencing new things, learning new information, living life to its fullest. Some day I may not be able to remember these times and then the physical items won't have as much value, but until then folks when you come to visit me you can just sit on the floor (or on a stack of albums).

Speaking of downsizing, here is a great detox recipe for shedding unwanted pounds after a splurge or two too many.

Detox Diet

6 whole tomatoes
2 garlic cloves
2 cups of mixed peppers (green, yellow, red, orange)
1 bunch of broccoli
2 cups of low sodium vegetable broth

Puree al ingredients together in food processor and cook on low for about 30 minutes. Have one cup every day for 7 days for lunch.
For breakfast have 1 serving of fruit
1 cup of greek yogurt with honey for mid morning snack
For dinner have a green salad with fat free dressing and one small baked potato (I use sweet potatoes).
Raw veggies for pre dinner snack and 1 cup of 1% milk for an after dinner snack.

 I did this for 7 days and lost 10 pounds.



No comments:

Post a Comment