Sunday, December 8, 2013

Level Up

Happy December everyone. I apologize for being out of pocket of late but I've been busy; busy taking my life to the next level. I'm so excited to share this with you and can't wait to see what you make of it.

About 3 months ago a friend of mine invited me on Facebook to take part in a 10 day fitness challenge. I'd done these types of things before and frankly wasn't convinced that I'd see any value in it. But, it seemed simple and the group looked like a bunch of fun ladies so I signed up. For a relatively small amount of money I received Shakeology shake mix for one meal replacement for 10 days, a Facebook event evite and I was off to the races. What happened next is the really cool part. I used the recipes provided to make my shakes super yummy. Everyday I received the most motivational and uplifting encouragement from my Challenge group including their food diaries for the day, what exercises they did, what challenges they faced...it was contagious. I began logging my information as well. At the end of the 10 days I had lost 7 pounds, and I wasn't hungry, grumpy or tired. Winning!

After the 10 days were up I went back to my normal life and continued the diet and exercise without the shakes or the group. It was fine, but the results weren't the same. So when my friend invited me to try a 90 day challenge over Thanksgiving and Christmas (a time when I traditionally gain at least 10 pounds eey gads) I said "sure".  For less than a monthly gym fee, I received the entire P90X workout program, a 90-day supply of Shakeology shake mix free 24-hour online support and my online motivational support group. I'm in week two and I've already seen a remarkable difference in my body; I'm down 12 inches with a noted improvement in my mid section which has been virtually impossible up until now. I'm wearing a size 10 which has been a goal of mine for the past, oh, 8 years. And best of all I FEEL GREAT! My blood pressure and cholesteral levels are at their best in years as well. The program I'm using is called Beachbody. You can check it out online at beachbodies.com. If you are interested in trying it let me know (I signed up as a Coach to get the discounts so I can help you get started).

As excited as I am about my body changes, the real advantage for me has been the change that's taking place in my mind. I haven't felt this in charge of my life for many years and I think the program is having a lot to do with it. I'm eating healthy and getting the right amount of nutrients and exercise so my brain is charged and my emotions are more even. People have been telling me how much more alert I seem and focused. For someone who is clearly an ADHD personality type, focus is a huge big deal and I can take all of the help I can get!

I am not trying to come off as an ad for Beachbody, P90X or Shakeology. Just telling my story as an example of some really cool, simple things out there for anyone who may need some help getting themselves back on track. You can form your own online support group, find a work out buddy, whatever works for you. The bottom line is, for many years I poo-pooed the idea of group exercise, team dieting, heck dieting of any kind. And while I am still not a fan of organized group exercise I have found the support of others to be of great value.

I'm so excited about this challenge that I may do something unthinkable at the end...I just may be brave enough to post some before and after pictures. I was looking through some old pics recently and nearly cried at just how out of shape I had let myself get. I've lost nearly 80 pounds and am still not a small woman. So for me to post fat-girl pics is not something I take lightly. It hurts deep inside of me when I see myself that way. But if I lose the final pounds and get the body I used to have back I'll "take one for the team" and share the journey.

Meanwhile, I'm going to share some of my "lean girl" recipes with you to help keep your holidays less-fat but still happy.

A Day In The Life Of...

First off, the Shake.
My favorite Shakeology shake recipe is the Banana Peanut-butter Shake. The secret ingredient is PB2, powered peanut butter. I know what you're thinking, ewww! I know that because I was thinking the same thing, until I tried it. Folks, it will rock your PB loving world. It tastes like Jiffy and has 85% less fat. It's just 1.5 grams of fat per 2 tablespoons, compared with around 18% fat for the same serving of Jiffy. You can find this little gem in the health food sections of most grocery stores. Martin's actually keeps it with traditional peanut butter. They have a Chocolate PB version of it as well, OMG. I haven't tried that yet but soon. I also use unsweetened Vanilla Almond milk in place of water (adds 30 calories but tastes a lot better).

One cup of almond milk (or water)
1 table spoon of PB2
1 scoop of Shakeology (or your favorite protein powder product)
1 frozen banana cut into pieces (I cut and freeze my bananas when they are getting a little too ripe for me - this way you don't need to use ice)
Blend well - I use the Ninja and it works great
I have this for breakfast and don't feel hungry at all until lunch.

Morning Snack
Honey Greek Yogurt - I enjoy the Trader Joe's brand

Lunch
Big green leaf salad with avocado, pine nuts, a variety of peppers, mushrooms and carrots. Make this as big as you want to because it's all good for you. You can add 3 oz of your favorite meat product  or tofu as well. I like to make my dressing out of water, pureed raspberries, cilantro and pepper but you can use any fat free variety.

Mid afternoon snack
Skim cheese stick
Fruit

Dinner
3 oz of protein
A whole grain
Fresh veggies

After Thanksgiving I had some cranberry citrus sauce left over and some ground turkey. I also had a variety of fresh peppers from a farmer's market in the Northern Neck. What came from that mix can only be described as "Cranberriliscious". I call these Thanksgiving Tacos:

Corn tortilla (small size and I made two)
Ground Turkey breast - about 1/4 pound
Diced and sauteed peppers (I used red and yellow), green onions, with chili powder, pepper and a little lime juice
Cilantro for topping
A teaspoon per taco of fat-free cream cheese
A teaspoon per tack of citrus cranberry sauce (I like the Trader Joe's brand)

Cook your ground turkey with the peppers and onions and put in the lime juice and seasoning just before taking off the heat. Bake your shells. Assemble the tacos by spreading the cream cheese on the shell first, adding the turkey mixture, then the cranberry sauce and topping with the cilantro. Trust me on this - you are going to die it's so good.

Don't forget to drink your water throughout the day - it really helps with the "hungries".

Until next time, live every day to the fullest.




No comments:

Post a Comment