Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Is This All There is?

Up to this point everything I've shared has been very positive about my empty nexting experience. But what I haven't shared with you is the feeling that you get the first time you realize that you are completely alone. I have to be honest with you, it sucks. There is no sugar coating the feeling of despair that takes you over when you let your brain go there....what happens if I have a heart attack and there's nobody here to call 911? What if I fall down the stairs and can't get to a phone? Will I ever be able to retire now? Or what happened to me yesterday; I had really exciting news to share. I was so anxious about my boot camp experience and I wanted nothing more than to have someone to talk it over with. Neither of my daughters were answering their phones, darn them for having lives of their own! My best friend didn't pick up either. And calling anyone else to gush over such a trivial event seemed inappropriate. So I blogged about it. That helped. But there's nothing like human contact, even if it's over the phone line, when you have something to share that makes you happy or sad. It can take you over if you let it. So don't let it! You have to push forward, change the subject, find something else to do to take your mind off of the loneliness. And for the love of God, don't start thinking about the jerk that left you, cheated on you, broke your heart, made you feel like pond scum. Just don't go there! It gets you no where and it adds negativity to your life that you can't afford to let in. That's why I'm choosing to keep this blog about empty nesting positive, but I don't want to give the false impression that I don't have those low moments because I do. Everyone does. It wouldn't be natural otherwise. We just don't need to dwell on that because I think that all goes without saying. So the answer to my title question, "is this all there is?" is no. But sometimes it feels that way.

Tonight's Recipe is:
Curry Shrimp and Vegetables


1 tablespoon of Canola Oil
1/2 pound of medium shrimp shelled and deveined
1 Russet potato, peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces
1 cup of string beans cooked and drained
3 small carrots cut into bite-sized pieces
4 green onions, cut white and green parts
1 clove of garlic
1 small yellow pepper cut, seeds removed
1 jar of prepared red curry sauce
1 small canned biscuit bake (makes 5)
1/4 cup of fresh basil chopped

Saute the garlic, onion and yellow pepper in hot oil
Add shrimp, potatoes and carrots and cook until they are half way done (about 5 minutes)
Add string beans and curry sauce, cover and simmer on low for about 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, cook the biscuits according to package directions.


Cut 2 biscuits open in half and put them in the bottom of a deep bowl. With a large spoon, ladle one-third of the shrimp curry over the biscuits careful to include about 4 of the shrimp.

Wrap the remaining biscuits in foil and put the remaining Shrimp Curry in an airtight container.

Use two of the biscuits with Morning Star sausage (or if you eat meant, regular sausage) for breakfast the next day.

Use the Shrimp Curry over white rice the next day for lunch or dinner. I promise you won't mind eating this a second time!

No comments:

Post a Comment