My dog, Ninja, is quite the social butterfly. One of the best aspects of my new home is the dog park that is a short walk away. It has become a very important part of our daily routine as it gives both Ninja and I some much-needed social interaction. People who bring their dogs to the dog park are bringing them there for one of several reasons: their dog is hyperactive and it helps them get a break later in the day or night (my personal reason), they are bored and need a little social interaction (another personal reason) and/or it is apparently a great way to "hook up" with singles. Who knew? This aspect was brought to my attention recently by a co-worker's wife. I really hadn't considered this, probably because I'm not remotely interested right now in "hooking up" with anybody, unless Johnny Depp or Jude Law happen onto my dog park...
The story goes that a lot of singles are now finding each other at dog parks all across the Country. It's the new "grocery store". Remember a few years ago the grocery store was the hot new singles hang out? Well, now it's the dog park. You get to see how these people treat their dogs, and have a chance to bond over a mutual interest. Plus, there's a lot of down time while your dogs are sniffing, biting and chasing each other and in order to fill the void, you find yourself talking and sharing things you don't tell anyone with these perfect strangers. The funny thing is, all of those things are true and I have noticed them. I just didn't realize that it was a vetting process. I just thought we were filling the down time, so to speak. This person who told me of this new meeting ground was quite in-the-know and has girl friends who swear by it. Choosing the right dog park is apparently very important. When I'm ready to look, I'm told I need to go to the University of Richmond dog park as the variety of dog owners is the best.
It's a good thing that I'm not looking or interested because, as usual, I have been going about the process all wrong. I take Ninja to the park before work in the early morning (7:00a.m.ish) before I've had a shower and while I am still wearing sweat pants and a hoodie, no make up, haven't even brushed my teeth or my hair. Not my best look. And when I go on weekends, it's usually later in the morning but on these days I don't get a shower or put on make up or dress, really, until noon. So the folks I run into at the dog park have no idea what I really look like. And I talk a lot more with other women than I do with men. I'm afraid I may have been downright rude on a few occasions as I look back on my dog park experiences with this new-found knowledge. I've played with Ninja rather than having conversation and when people have asked me personal questions, like how long have you lived here, what does your husband do, where do you work, I've been thrown off and haven't really given direct responses. In my defense, I don't like to talk a lot when I haven't brushed my teeth or combed my hair...
Still though, for about 6 days in a row Ninja has been "hooking up" with a studdly Black Lab named Sam. Sam and Ninja experienced what can only be described as love at first sight. Him with his blue bandana around his neck and his shinning black coat and Ninja with her long, flowing "hair" and her black snout. They took one sniff and were bonded for life. Ninja can tell when Sam's at the park and starts tearing at the back door. As we near the park, Sam stands erect at the dog park gate and pants and stares at her until we enter the gate. Then the two of them run off chasing, sniffing and biting until me or Sam's "Dad" say it's time to leave. Maybe there is a chance for a love-connection at the dog park, but it's more likely to be for Ninja than me at this point.


No comments:
Post a Comment