Granted it's been a while since I have been in the dating scene, but it sure seems like a much more limited supply of available and decent men out there these days. And the rules have all changed. Everyone is meeting online not at Church or the grocery store. And it seems like meeting people and dating has become hard work, not spontaneous and fun. If you are my age, or in the same generation at least, most folks are married. If they aren't then they are in a committed relationship. Don't forget about all of the amazing gay men out there. Take all of those options out of the mix and what are you left with? From what I have seen, not much.
So you start to wonder. I know at least a dozen really awesome single women my age who are divorced. That's just in my immediate friend group. So there must be at least that many in most people's friend groups, right? Then what happened to all of those women's ex-husbands? Now I realize that some have passed away or moved away. Some others have remarried. But that should still leave a bunch of single men between 40 and 60. Where are they hiding? Being recently divorced I haven't really been looking that much or that hard, to be honest. And I realize that I am extremely picky and a bit odd or a better word would be unique. I have a very young soul so a man my age who acts that age is probably not of interest to me. I am also NOT going to do the online dating game. I understand that a lot of really great people have met their "match" online, but for me it just isn't natural or comfortable. I'm not looking for a husband or even a long term relationship - just somebody to go out with when we both have free time. So here's what I propose...
I am going to tell you all exactly what kind of guy I'm looking for and if you run across this fellow please give him my blog address. If he's out there I'd love him to write me a note on my blog. It could be fun for all of us, right? You get to do some match-making and I get to go about my life without a care. If he's out there, he'll reach out to me, come take me away on his big white horse and we'll live happily ever after. Okay, maybe we'll just have a cup of coffee, a nice dinner and/or a couple of good phone conversations and that's really all a person can ask for these days.
It makes so much sense. I don't have to worry if he's a creep, a stalker or a pervert because YOU are recommending him and you are all good people, so he "comes with papers". He doesn't have to worry if I'm a crazed maniac because he's getting your recommendation as well. Win, win! And just think what great blog content this is going to be; he writes in and everyone gets to follow the conversation online. You can even help me decide who I should go out with. It will be fun! So here is what I think I'm looking for. I could be wrong. You probably know better than me, so use your best judgement.
HIM
He should be tall, at least 6 feet but under 6'2. And either completely bald or nice hair. I don't care what color as long as it is real. I'd also love it if he has a good job and doesn't drink during the day. That would be nice. If he appreciates a good cigar, I'm cool with that, but no cigaret smokers please. I'd like him to have a sense of humor, but not be a smart ass. Intelligent, but not snobby. He should be a nice dresser. He doesn't have to rock out designer clothes, but it would be nice if he new who Brooks Brothers are. It would also be nice if he appreciates a good meal and extra points if a "good meal" doesn't have to include meat. If he's handy and owns a tool box, that'd be great. If he likes to travel and has enough cash to cover his expenses, yahoo. Must love dogs and not hate cats. If he plays guitar, even better. If he plays guitar, but doesn't play in a band, awesome! If he plays guitar but it's only when he's playing Rock Band, I'm okay with that too. What fun it would be if he likes to read. Even better if he's into Sci-Fi, trllogys and Hemingway. That way we can share a Kindle account. A good heart and kind, gentle nature gets brownie points. But he must be fun and ready to try new things. It's really important that he likes coffee. He also needs to not be a control freak. If he has a boat and likes the water that would be really great. Oh, and he must be single.
HIS DREAM GIRL
Short and curvy (that's the online term for a little overweight) with nice eyes, one of them tends to float around a bit when she's tired, or tipsy. She has a low attention span and doesn't have a ton of patience.with people who complain about life when they really don't have anything to complain about. She prefers jeans over cocktail dresses and her idea of a romantic evening is sitting on the sofa together, each with their own IPhone and laptop (or tablet) watching TV, talking and texting, browsing the internet all at the same time. (see note above about the low attention span). She likes to cook but isn't much of a cleaner. She likes Nirvana and Alternative Rock over Jazz and isn't into Country music. Although she sings with the radio no matter what is playing, even if she doesn't really know the words. She's in her fifties but acts 30ish and isn't about to change anytime soon. She works out but doesn't like to spend hours talking about it. She has a good job and a decent income so he should too. And she puts her daughters first, always. He should LOVE that about her. She likes to laugh and enjoys her own "space". She isn't clingy and so he can't be either. She's a horrible driver and hates being told how to drive. She has a kind heart and a good soul but isn't into organized religion.
So you all get busy and see what you can do. You can also comment on here with your suggestions of how to meet this guy.
In the meantime I have found a couple of really amazing low cal recipes that you should put on your 'date night' list. They both pair well with a good Pinot Noir or a dry Chardonnay. Trader Joe's has some great deals on their wines right now.
Shrimp Fried Rice
12 oz of medium sized shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 cup of broccoli florets
1 cup of mixed peppers (green, red, yellow)
1/2 cup of snow peas trimmed and halved
1/2 cup of frozen shelled edamame thawed
1 cup of cooked brown rice cooled in the frig over night
1 tablespoon of ginger
3 tablespoons of canola oil
1 tablespoon of low sodium sauce
1 tablespoon of rice wine vinegar
1 clove of garlic
Hot sauce and salt and pepper to taste
Cook the ginger and garlic in 1 tablespoon of the oil about 10 seconds. Add rice and stir fry for about 10 minutes. Remove and set aside. Steam broccoli for about 5 minutes, drain and set aside. Stir fry the shrimp in 1 tablespoon of the oil for about 5 minutes and push to the side of the pan. Add the vegetables and remaining oil and stir fry for 10 minutes. Add shrimp back in along with soy sauce, vinegar and hot sauce and seasoning and stir fry another 5 minutes. Add to rice mixture and serve immediately. About 350 calories and 9 grams of fat per serving. Serves 4. (about 2 cups per serving).
Asparagus Pizza
12 inch whole wheat crust
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1/4 pound of fresh asparagus cut in half and sliced vertically
1/2 red pepper and 1/2 yellow pepper cored and cut into 1 inch pieces
1 clove of garlic
2 slices of bacon (I use soy bacon)
2 tablespoons of parmesan cheese
4 green onions cut green and white
red pepper flakes
hot sauce
Saute peppers, bacon and garlic in olive oil and spread over crust as a paste. Top with asparagus, green onions, parmesan cheese and bake in 400 degree oven for 10 to 15 minutes. Top with red pepper flakes and hot sauce to taste. 2 pieces is a serving, about 400 calories and 10 grams of fat per serving.
So you start to wonder. I know at least a dozen really awesome single women my age who are divorced. That's just in my immediate friend group. So there must be at least that many in most people's friend groups, right? Then what happened to all of those women's ex-husbands? Now I realize that some have passed away or moved away. Some others have remarried. But that should still leave a bunch of single men between 40 and 60. Where are they hiding? Being recently divorced I haven't really been looking that much or that hard, to be honest. And I realize that I am extremely picky and a bit odd or a better word would be unique. I have a very young soul so a man my age who acts that age is probably not of interest to me. I am also NOT going to do the online dating game. I understand that a lot of really great people have met their "match" online, but for me it just isn't natural or comfortable. I'm not looking for a husband or even a long term relationship - just somebody to go out with when we both have free time. So here's what I propose...
I am going to tell you all exactly what kind of guy I'm looking for and if you run across this fellow please give him my blog address. If he's out there I'd love him to write me a note on my blog. It could be fun for all of us, right? You get to do some match-making and I get to go about my life without a care. If he's out there, he'll reach out to me, come take me away on his big white horse and we'll live happily ever after. Okay, maybe we'll just have a cup of coffee, a nice dinner and/or a couple of good phone conversations and that's really all a person can ask for these days.
It makes so much sense. I don't have to worry if he's a creep, a stalker or a pervert because YOU are recommending him and you are all good people, so he "comes with papers". He doesn't have to worry if I'm a crazed maniac because he's getting your recommendation as well. Win, win! And just think what great blog content this is going to be; he writes in and everyone gets to follow the conversation online. You can even help me decide who I should go out with. It will be fun! So here is what I think I'm looking for. I could be wrong. You probably know better than me, so use your best judgement.
HIM
He should be tall, at least 6 feet but under 6'2. And either completely bald or nice hair. I don't care what color as long as it is real. I'd also love it if he has a good job and doesn't drink during the day. That would be nice. If he appreciates a good cigar, I'm cool with that, but no cigaret smokers please. I'd like him to have a sense of humor, but not be a smart ass. Intelligent, but not snobby. He should be a nice dresser. He doesn't have to rock out designer clothes, but it would be nice if he new who Brooks Brothers are. It would also be nice if he appreciates a good meal and extra points if a "good meal" doesn't have to include meat. If he's handy and owns a tool box, that'd be great. If he likes to travel and has enough cash to cover his expenses, yahoo. Must love dogs and not hate cats. If he plays guitar, even better. If he plays guitar, but doesn't play in a band, awesome! If he plays guitar but it's only when he's playing Rock Band, I'm okay with that too. What fun it would be if he likes to read. Even better if he's into Sci-Fi, trllogys and Hemingway. That way we can share a Kindle account. A good heart and kind, gentle nature gets brownie points. But he must be fun and ready to try new things. It's really important that he likes coffee. He also needs to not be a control freak. If he has a boat and likes the water that would be really great. Oh, and he must be single.
HIS DREAM GIRL
Short and curvy (that's the online term for a little overweight) with nice eyes, one of them tends to float around a bit when she's tired, or tipsy. She has a low attention span and doesn't have a ton of patience.with people who complain about life when they really don't have anything to complain about. She prefers jeans over cocktail dresses and her idea of a romantic evening is sitting on the sofa together, each with their own IPhone and laptop (or tablet) watching TV, talking and texting, browsing the internet all at the same time. (see note above about the low attention span). She likes to cook but isn't much of a cleaner. She likes Nirvana and Alternative Rock over Jazz and isn't into Country music. Although she sings with the radio no matter what is playing, even if she doesn't really know the words. She's in her fifties but acts 30ish and isn't about to change anytime soon. She works out but doesn't like to spend hours talking about it. She has a good job and a decent income so he should too. And she puts her daughters first, always. He should LOVE that about her. She likes to laugh and enjoys her own "space". She isn't clingy and so he can't be either. She's a horrible driver and hates being told how to drive. She has a kind heart and a good soul but isn't into organized religion.
So you all get busy and see what you can do. You can also comment on here with your suggestions of how to meet this guy.
In the meantime I have found a couple of really amazing low cal recipes that you should put on your 'date night' list. They both pair well with a good Pinot Noir or a dry Chardonnay. Trader Joe's has some great deals on their wines right now.
Shrimp Fried Rice
12 oz of medium sized shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 cup of broccoli florets
1 cup of mixed peppers (green, red, yellow)
1/2 cup of snow peas trimmed and halved
1/2 cup of frozen shelled edamame thawed
1 cup of cooked brown rice cooled in the frig over night
1 tablespoon of ginger
3 tablespoons of canola oil
1 tablespoon of low sodium sauce
1 tablespoon of rice wine vinegar
1 clove of garlic
Hot sauce and salt and pepper to taste
Cook the ginger and garlic in 1 tablespoon of the oil about 10 seconds. Add rice and stir fry for about 10 minutes. Remove and set aside. Steam broccoli for about 5 minutes, drain and set aside. Stir fry the shrimp in 1 tablespoon of the oil for about 5 minutes and push to the side of the pan. Add the vegetables and remaining oil and stir fry for 10 minutes. Add shrimp back in along with soy sauce, vinegar and hot sauce and seasoning and stir fry another 5 minutes. Add to rice mixture and serve immediately. About 350 calories and 9 grams of fat per serving. Serves 4. (about 2 cups per serving).
Asparagus Pizza
12 inch whole wheat crust
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1/4 pound of fresh asparagus cut in half and sliced vertically
1/2 red pepper and 1/2 yellow pepper cored and cut into 1 inch pieces
1 clove of garlic
2 slices of bacon (I use soy bacon)
2 tablespoons of parmesan cheese
4 green onions cut green and white
red pepper flakes
hot sauce
Saute peppers, bacon and garlic in olive oil and spread over crust as a paste. Top with asparagus, green onions, parmesan cheese and bake in 400 degree oven for 10 to 15 minutes. Top with red pepper flakes and hot sauce to taste. 2 pieces is a serving, about 400 calories and 10 grams of fat per serving.

Debbie, I adore your spirit. WIll keep my eyes open on your behalf :)
ReplyDeleteKeep that perspective on point!
You are my hero so I take this as great motivation!
Delete