Monday, September 3, 2012

The Gym Is Your Friend (keep telling yourself this over and over and maybe you'll believe it...)

Summer is in the rear view mirror and we are headed into that very dangerous time of year for all of us dieters....you know what I'm talking about. Early fall when the weather starts to cool down and savory smells fill the air for football season. Everywhere you go you smell beef stew, pasta, chili, baked bread, warm cookie dough - it's like someone opened the carb flood gate and everybody is running through it. Everyone accept you and me because we know what they may be forgetting, the Holiday season is coming and we're all going to gain at least 5 pounds between Thanksgiving and New Year's. There's a reason that for the past 20 years I have had "lose 20 pounds" as my New Year's resolution. I traditionally have had zero will power during this time of year. Sweaters come out so you can hide a little extra weight, it's cold outside so you need to carb up to stay warm, it's Christmas (insert holiday name here...) so it's okay to splurge...you've heard all of the excuses and if you're like me you've even invented a few new ones (I'm already this fat so what's another 5 pounds...).

You can actually make this pretty guilt free with a few modifications...stay tuned for more info on that!
Now more than ever it's important to have a work out plan because, let's face it, we're going to slip up on our food in take, no matter how hard we try not to. I've done a little cost analysis of all the options and as much as I hate the gym, and I really HATE the gym, it's the best option for fall and winter months. Here's why:

Unlimited classes 7 days a week - Boot camp, kick boxing, martial arts offer great classes but they are usually 2 to 3 days a week and when you do the math they don't offer a good value. $70 a month for martial arts kick boxing, three days a week can't compete with $29 a month for unlimited classes every day of the week. Boot camp is outside so you have to count on several days a month during the winter months when you just can't work out due to the weather. And at about $65 a month you are still only getting 2 to 3 days a week as an option.

Sauna, in door pools, showers - Gold's Gym at Willow Lawn offers all of these options so even if you aren't in the mood for a high-powered Body Pump class you can swim a few laps and sit in the sauna for a mini work out.

Bikes, Elipticals, Row Machines, oh my! - If you aren't in the mood to run, you can cycle, walk, row, etc. Gyms just offer a lot more options and give you a variety in your work out.

Hot Guys - while this can be intimidating it sure is motivational. I walk around and think, and I know it is a fantasy thought, "when I lose all of my weight I can date these guys"

The gym is not without it's negatives, however. For example, there are the "gym snobs", you know the type. The women who come to every class, know the instructors by their real names (not just Badass Brittney or Magic Mike), are always 15 minutes early for class and are the first ones to tell you what you are doing wrong. My gym is full of these folks. Not to mention the guys with their huge pecks and larger egos. They sweat up the machines and even the hallways with the "fruits" of their labor and the residue from last night's party. Ew! Plus, don't let anyone tell you that Aerobics are extent. They aren't, even though they sure as hell should be. They have just come back under new, more industrial names like Body Jam, Body Attack, Body Fit. They aren't fooling anyone with their Madonna head sets and their black arm-band accessorised work out attire - they are all really Olivia Newton John want-to-be's wearing pink tights listening to "Let's Get Physical" . Well, maybe not, but the classes are still impossible for normal people to follow and I still hate the music they play, several octaves too loud. But I do love the sauna, and there's that fantasy thought I mentioned earlier so all in all it's worth it.

Before a work out you should eat some light carbs, a bowel of cereal, toast, bagel, etc and after a good protein shake is in order. Here are some recipes for a healthy women's protein shake (I am doing a no dairy diet right now so I sub in Almond milk and skip the yogurt). Experiment and have some fun with the ingredients. The key is using flax seed oil to cut down on the belly fat and getting a good protein powder you like. I like Ariel for women, vanilla.

Banana and Peanut Butter Smoothie
1 banana, cut in cubes and frozen
1 tablespoon of all natural  low sodium peanut butter
1 cup of skim milk
2 scoops of protein powder

Blend and drink!

Peach Delight
2 peaches, cut in cubes and frozen (skin removed)
1 cup of vanilla bean greek yogurt
1 tablespoon of flax seed oil (I use Trader Joe's organic) Oh,
2 scoops of protein powder
1 cup of skim milk

Because the peaches are frozen you don't need ice. If you use fresh fruit, add a cup of ice.

Okay, let's get physical this fall so we can eat more during the Holidays and not gain weight. Oh, and so all those hot guys at the gym will look right over all those skinny girls and ask us out, 'cuz that's really going to happen...

No comments:

Post a Comment