Sunday, September 8, 2013

Take the Fall Challenge

Fall is in the air - that means back to school, pool closings, pumpkin ale, hiking and football. For me it's also the time of year when I refocus on my goals, readjust myself and get ready to shed some burned edges. It's been almost two years since I moved out of my house and started a new life. I'm spending some time reflecting on what has changed in my life since then and it's a lot, but not as much as I had hoped for.

1. I've lost 57 pounds. That's pretty awesome and I'm not even going to pretend I don't think so. The fact that I gained that much is terrible and embarrassing and just plan unacceptable, but the fact that I've really focused on getting my body and health back is a great accomplishment and for that I am very proud.
2. I've made new friends - considering that I really hadn't left my house that much over the past five years prior made it difficult for me to meet people and make new friends. I have over the past two years made some lifelong friends that I truly love and who love me. I've also reconnected with a couple of my old, best friends and I'm happy about that as well.
3. I've refocused on my career - and really made an effort to be a better work person, a better boss and a more focused worker. Things are starting to pay off there as well.
4. I fell in love, and got a broken heart - I know that doesn't sound like a good thing, but I really had shut down my feelings for nearly 20 years and so I consider this a huge accomplishment. Feeling so much for another human is such an incredible sensation and the fact that he didn't love me back doesn't take away from how awesome it was/is to feel again.
5. Exercise has become my friend - in order to accomplish number 1 on the list, I had to make a lot of changes in my lifestyle and they have been very rewarding. The old me spent most of my free time on the sofa eating, reading and watching TV. Now I'm hiking, working out, walking the dog, going to the park, swimming, and rarely ever watch TV anymore. And my eating habits have completely changed. I don't have snacks in the house so when I eat it's healthy.

As proud of these changes as I am, I still have so much to work on. That's where the Fall Challenge comes in. Number one on the list is to finish what I've started. I need to lose about 20 more pounds and I'm highly focused on making that happen before Christmas. I'm taking a 10 day challenge starting tomorrow that is no alcohol, processed food or sugar for 10 days and at least one hour of exercise each day. I'll keep you posted on how that goes, but I'm motivated! Next on the list is to get my finances in better order. I've done a lot better these past couple of years, but I still spend way too much on stupid things. Like the Cable, On Demand, HD, Movie Channels for several TVs in my house even though I barely ever watch any of it anymore. That's on the list to take care of asap. And I'm still buying way too many groceries for just one person. Bad habit that is really hard for me to break. Last but not least, I am going to learn how to fall in love with a decent man even if it kills me! There have to be some decent guys out there so why is it that I only fall for the bad boys? Got to fix that one in a hurry because now that I can feel again the last thing I want is another broken heart - in case you've forgotten, it sucks!

I owe everyone a few new recipes. I haven't been cooking that much lately but I do have a recipe that I think you all will enjoy. It's pretty too. I'll leave you with this challenge for yourselves; as summer ends and a new school year begins, think about two things you'd like to change about your life. Write them down, make some goals and do a weekly follow up with yourself. You'll be surprised at what you can accomplish when you really put your mind to it.

Turkey Taco Lettuce Wraps

Ground turkey
Green onions
Taco seasoning
Greek yogurt
Hot sauce
Light cheddar cheese
Diced tomatoes
Boston lettuce

Saute the turkey in a sauce pan. Add a little water and taco seasoning and cook through. Add green onions. Pull a part Boston lettuce leaves. Stuff each leaf with about 1/3 cup of the turkey mixture. Top with cheese, tomatoes and yogurt. Sprinkle with hot sauce. About two lettuce wraps makes one serving.

Tired of water? Here's a tip. Add some fresh fruit to your water bottle and let it sit for about 20 minutes before drinking. It gives the water some extra nutrients and kicks up the flavor a few notches. I like orange slices, lime slices and cherries, but any combination that you like works just fine.

Enjoy fall and remember that life is just a work in progress.


No comments:

Post a Comment