Sunday, November 8, 2015

Week Two - Rebooting

I made it through 7 days of rebooting. Some things were easer than I anticipated and some much more difficult. It surprises me where those two lines crossed. First off, thank you to all of those out there who have provided me with support and inspiration. Everyone is working through something, and I acknowledge that my "shit" is far less heavy than a lot of yours, so I appreciate your words of encouragement so much.

This past week just as I was putting my action plan into place, some very big changes took place in my work environment. Change is always tricky but most of the time it has been for the better and perhaps this will be the same. It just comes at a tough time because my emotional curve is at an all time low making my change tolerance meter a bit off. In spite of that, I am proud of myself for keeping to my plan, for the most part. Here are the highs and the lows of the week:

Wins
Goal 1 - Get Healthy
Diet and Exercise
I did great with this part of my plan, who knew that this would be the easy part! I stuck to my meal plan, exceeded my exercise plan and actually dropped 5 pounds. I believe the extra exercise played a large part in my ability to keep somewhat of an even level this week in the face of work drama. I have already updated my meal tracker for the new week and stocked my frig and pantry with the week's healthy food.

Emotional Well Being
Another one that I feel good about this week. I managed to keep my cool in spite of a trying work situation, no word from the fellow that I'm trying to get over (but who I still love madly,) and a financial set back. It always seems to happen that when I make a real effort to fix my finances, some big unexpected thing happens to throw me off balance. Oh well, we'll talk about that later. The good news is, I didn't break down or cry in my soup or lose my temper. I maintained and I'm proud of myself for that. I have looked up a few counselors and have on my agenda for tomorrow to make an appointment with one to help me through this hump.



One thing that helped me this week was spending time with my friends and family. I am so lucky to have such amazing friends. Whenever I'm low they run to my side and hug me and hold me and drink with me and laugh with me and cry with me, and it makes everything feel better, if only for a while. I also have amazing daughters who make me so proud and fill me with love and joy. I'm a lucky girl for sure. I took a drive to Warsaw and visited my Mom on Saturday, which was also lovely. We drove to the village of Montross and took pictures of the amazing new street art, I've posted some here but you really have to understand the little village to get the full sense of how totally cool this is for them. My brother met up with us for coffee and dinner and that helped too.

Set Backs
Financial Health
I made my budget and things were looking great, then I received a letter from the IRS that I owed $6,000 in back taxes. Nice. I'm not sure how that happened, but it appears to be legit and now I have to pay them $500 a month until I can pay off the total amount. Awesome. Budget blown. So much for saving $1500 a month now. I readjusted the plan to save $1,000 a month and have a long range plan to pay off the total by March.  Still, sometimes don't you just feel like the world has it out for you? Timing is everything.

Goal 2 - Live up to potential
Get Published
I did not even look at my writing this week. I couldn't. My emotional state wasn't strong enough to edit and reread my short story series. You see, it is largely about the fellow with whom I'm in love who is now in a relationship, a serious relationship, with someone who isn't me. I know that I need to separate the story from him so I can move forward with it, but I wasn't strong enough to do it this week. Maybe next week will be better. I'll try.

As promised, I have a healthy recipe for you. I'm going to make it Tuesday night for my vegan daughter and her boyfriend, also vegan. It involves cauliflower so keep an open mind! I swear it tastes great...

Roasted Red Pepper Cauliflower

You'll need:
1 head of cauliflower, florets pulled off
1 clove of garlic
1 large red pepper
3 oz of tofu, firm and drained
2 teaspoons of kosher salt
Fresh parsley
2 tablespoons of olive oil
Sesame seeds and bread crumbs

Saute garlic in olive oil until lightly browned then remove garlic. Saute cauliflower florets in oil and salt for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently. You can cover to make it go faster, but I prefer to keep the lid off and "stir fry" it for crispness. Roast the red pepper until charred and let cool while you are preparing the cauliflower. When the pepper is cooled, remove the seeds and stem and cut into strips. Add the pepper, tofu, and remaining olive oil to a food processor and pulse for a minute or two, or until the mixture is creamy. Add mixture to the pan with the cauliflower and stir gently to mix. Move to a baking pan and top with sesame seeds, bread crumbs and parsley. Bake or broil slightly to allow bread crumbs to brown.






No comments:

Post a Comment